July 25, 2006

Anger management

Of late, I’ve started finding faults in people more often that not. I get irritated at things that I would have normally dismissed as silly or unworthy of my attention/thought. In short, I’m getting pained. It’s not so much about people paining me as me getting pained. I see the virian virtue of empathy slowly trickling away from my blood. But I ask, is it for my good or bad?? And how do I even get an answer to this?

I hate to get angry. It makes me lose control over my emotions, or rather, an expression of my emotions. Often I’ve wriggled out of the misery convincing myself, and trying to convince others that I’m not angry, but just irritated. But how thin is the line that separates irritation from anger?? True, I do not break glasses or throw things at people or shout at people at the top of my voice. In the few times that I’ve been really convinced of my anger, I’ve expressed it in my own ways. Often in funny ways, as witnesses claim.

It’s an art to hide a range of emotions behind a blank expression; I am but a dilettante. And anger robs one of the canvas to dabble in this art. Some argue that masking one’s expression is a dishonest pursuit, a travesty of emotions. That they have a right to know what others think and feel. But then don’t we need to look at both sides of the coin?? There is, perhaps, a third side??

I know I’m a hypocrite at heart. But, does owning it cleanse me of the sin of hypocrisy?? Also, does a false claim of hypocrisy make one a hypocrite?? I make no attempt to answer.

I greet people I loathe with an equally fervent smile as I would someone I consider close to me. It is so well-knitted into my demeanor, only a VERY few would actually notice the difference. But I admit the difference, however infinitely subtle.

Now, someone having a sudden surge of curiosity may ask, “Why all this badinage?” I have my reasons, vague and contrived as they may seem.

Let me elucidate, with a tactful use of bullets, of which I have become a fan of late.

  • S borrowed my all-out the night before. He wanted it for 5 minutes, or so he claimed. Now, when someone borrows something u really need and assures u he will return it in 5 minutes, u expect him to return the something in 5 minutes. He returned it the next night, through an intermediary. My night, however, was spent in the envious company of mosquitoes, covering myself in a blanket in this dreadful Chennai heat in a desperate attempt to thwart off their ruthless attack. The greatest human civilizations were built on the sound foundations of empathy, a concern for fellow beings. When that is not forthcoming, u start wondering where our own civilization is headed to!!
  • I had to submit a letter to prof. S. Which I did. He refused to take it on the irrefutable grounds that the sheet was folded, at three places, if I might add. Hence, I had to get it typed by the guy in the office. The guy was supposed to come in another 10 minutes, and I waited. As 10 became 20, I decided to take my chances and asked S if I could use the comp to type it out myself. “Can you type?” he asked. “Well, I can try.” Much to his surprise I typed it out at a fairly decent speed and finished in a few minutes. Took a print-out, deleted the .doc file. “Fine,” he accepted. I heaved a sigh or relief, a huge one at that. As I started walking out of the building, Ma’am S called me back. Prof. S, scrupulous that he is, had noticed a profound fault in my letter. The letter should have been dated the day before. Couldn’t I just strike out the date and write the correct one. I’ve even got a pen with black ink. Better type it out. Hmmm..

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah.. i suffer from the same...
***king hate and anger. but those bas****s... are everywhere!
whatever you decide to do... turn the other cheek and count till 10 or smsh them/ a couple of glass windows!
So many of em busybody chundlings infact, that we can't afford to screw our lives getting chafed at those sorry arses!!
Put up, and move the fuck on is what we gotta do i guess..

and about the office and red tape... I know i know those clerks and perfectionist letter bee jobless profs.. shd burn em all and put a software interface where they stood.. bloody failures of their generations taking it out on poor smeagols like us!

hitchhiker said...

droog:
i'm irritated at my own irritation (if u know what i mean)...some incidents merit anger, some irritation...but which ones merit what??
also, we may not turn the other cheek or shatter glass windows and all, but counting to 10 is definitely do-able..NO?

Anonymous said...

i have a short fuse ...But i have always believed in venting my feelings, be it anger or elation or sadness. It is better than letting your woes/angst fester and poison your insides, right? From experience, i have found that when i do vent my anger, it makes me get over whatever is ailing me faster than when i try to be, you know, nice and not show my displeasure/anger.

You are right. It is an art to be able to hide your emotions, an art that i have not been blessed with. There was a phase when i actually debated on whether i should try to cultivate this art but then better sense prevailed and i decided to remain my bitchy self. Like I tell my friends they should be glad they have someone they can rely on to tell them exactly what is on my mind when they ask my opinion of, say, the fluorescent pink shirt they are wearing!!!

Try showing your emotions sometimes. It is umm…refreshing…

hitchhiker said...

on the other hand, i'm not blessed with facial expressions that come spontaneously.. exceptions being brought by a profundity of the emotion.. (when a deep expression of anger is met with a cackle or laugh, there isn't much i could do..) and when i make a conscious effort to make my emotions known, it looks contrived..

it's the way i am..

Anonymous said...

hey man...first of all,thanx for the post...it was, for me, great.

I think all of us are hypocrites, at some level or the other, maybe in a much subtler and ill defined way, but surely we are.However, if you are smart enough to own up to hypocrisy and not do anything about it ...
i'd say thats a funny kind of shameless honesty, u know, very similar to the lies we sometimes say to protect a persons feelings, but literally pointing in the opposite direction.

irritation and anger - seems like a matter of definition of degree of intensity,they are pretty much the same,no ? unless of course u mean "violent" by angry... :)

penultimately... nice to see blogpost working again, i might've missed a few minutes of snooze time wondering whether it'd been banned again.

and finally, "bandinage" ... oh SHIT ! reminds me of the GRE i have on the 7th of Sep, and i seem to have already forgotten the 5-6 wordlists i 'painstakingly' finished last month ... CRAAAAAPPP!!!

hitchhiker said...

i'd like to think that irritation and anger are 2 diff. things.. irritation may one of the diff causes of anger..

Anonymous said...

irritated at your own irritation?

It's pointless man. But then, everything is pointless anyways.