August 13, 2005

What's in a name?

The little B finally got christened after days of extensive search on the web. It had to start with a 'chi' as indicated in his kuthi (kundali). Some 15 probables were selected including Chiara, Chimera, Chin-Hwang, Chi, Chini etc. Not to mention the Chinese Chins, Chings and their numerous derivatives. Interestingly, the winner turned out to be one from outside the probables list. It's a Persian name meaning brave, powerful, sublime, intelligent, and perhaps more. An alternate meaning being turban. Here's my first hi to a newly christened Chirah!! A close contender was Chiragh(meaning a lamp) but bigB decided to do away with it as it could be "blown away by a gust of wind"!!
I was inspired to find a meaning for my own name. It turned out to be very meaningful indeed, with meanings ranging from an elitist homosexual to lesbians, marijuana to plain stupid. Urbandictionray.com did come up with some amusing meanings!! It's always been a pain for me to answer people when they ask the meaning of my name. I can make it sound pretty entertaining now. Though I wonder if i can do away with my oft-repeated old "My father got impressed by a WWII Russian pilot named Bobo Bubuska. Ergo, blah blah blah.." story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wide publicity. And, making public through the disclosures on how you got your name.

I hope the exercise on searching a name for the SMALL B gives you an opportunity to discover the meaning of your name.

hitchhiker said...

i still say, wht's in a name?