August 07, 2005

Of paknams and eronbas..

Made paknam under Iteima's keen supervision. It had become a matter guarding my reputation of being an excellent paknam maker. I've indeed got some flattering comments about my skill from close quarters. After today, the decision is final, i can do it and have beaten even girls at it!! I better preserve my recipe lest i should forget it. And of course, in case people want to share my expertise. Ahem, ahem. I'm thinking of making it back home to show my skills to mom and all. Though there are many variants, here's how to make a special "kanglayan" paknam--

Ingredients:
*Ngari - 1 teaspoonful
Maroi napakpi- 6/7 leaves
green Chillis - 7/8 halved lengthwise
Kanglayan one small bowl
*Besan 3/4 teaspoonfuls
*Yaingang la
salt to taste

* key ingredients

Procedure:
Wash and clean the kanglayan thoroughly. Mix (rather, squeeze firmly with the palm and fingers) the ngari, salt, maroi napakpi and green chillis thoroughly, until u form a paste. Add the kanglayan and continue mixing. Add the besan and mix. The amount of besan should depend on the amount of water present in the mixture. Try smelling ur fingers. U should be tempted to eat it right there. If not, continue mixing :) .Wrap the mixture in yaingang la, put inside a pressure cooker and cook. In case u have dried yaingang la, it should be priorly added to the mixture.
Serve with rice and kangshoi.

My eronba's not as gud as my paknam. Maybe i will write about it sometime...

No comments: