February 14, 2005

42

My hostel jersey number 42. Was wondering why it was offered to me when I found out that i had indeed come up with "The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything"!!
Thus started my journey for the answer to the Ultimate question.In wikipedia,

The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is a concept taken from Douglas Adams's science fiction series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In the story, the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is sought from the supercomputer Deep Thought. The answer given by Deep Thought leads the protagonists on a quest to discover the question which provides this answer.


Thus, i had to travel a perilous journey through such excruciating terms as Metasyntactic variables, Golgafrinchans, deep thoughts etcetera. But then, i came across...
The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk,stared into the garden and thought '42 will do' I typed it out. End of story.
Best,

Douglas Adams
Instant enlightenment!!!

"Six by nine. Forty-two."
"That's it. That's all there is."




No comments: